Routine lid maintenance is highly recommended. While we do produce a very strong product, meant to last, we are a plastics manufacturer. As with any product made from plastic, if not properly maintained, you will experience the degradation that occurs when left to certain elements.
Water and salt can be harsh elements when introduced to any hard object. When you add time, functionality and light, this can become a strain on the product.
Salt is a crystal. When water containing salt evaporates up to the lid frame, the salt will dry and recrystallize. When this occurs inside the modular joints of the lid, the crystals will push the joints apart. Please follow further instructions found below to avoid this process occurring.
To avoid issues, please follow the advisement below:
- Do not use chemicals or rough material to clean the frame of your lid.
- Try to use care when removing you lid for maintenance that it is not set in a place that would allow pets or children to step on it. Also, take care to rest the lid gently as the tabbing system will usually bear the weight of the lid while it is resting off your tank.
- Clean regularly. This involves periodically rinsing in warm, salt free water and drying with a clean microfiber cloth. (absolutely essential with modular lid frames!!)
- Always remove salt creep and condensation. A clean microfiber cloth is recommended.
- If you own a modular lid, (Tsunami or Pisces EXO) salt creep can get into the modular joints if the lid is not rinsed in warm water on occasion and dried with a clean microfiber cloth.
- Turn your lights off whenever they are not needed. Our mesh is UV protected, but as with all plastic, could possibly grow brittle over time if lights are set up too close to the lid or used without ever shutting off.
- Failure to maintain your lid, causing degradation to the product will void your warranty.
We thank you for taking care of the lid that keeps your finned friends safe!